RE: 3 years now, should I change the oil?

Subject: RE: 3 years now, should I change the oil?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:49:20 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> I read a Mobil oil report that said engine oil
> is good for 15000 - 30000 miles.  Who's right?

They used to say 50000 miles, until shortly after some fleet tests were run.
Starting with brand new cars, the tests were discontinued at ~40000 miles
due to excessive oil burning (!)

Oil may be oil (which shouldn't 'wear out'), and some filters may be good
enough to remove all the wear particles that are large enough to cause
further wear (or not), but there are important additives in the oil that do
wear out.

Or do you also advocate using straight weight, non-detergent oil ?

FWIW, I use premium (synthetic) oil, and push the change interval out to
5-7000 miles.  I've never owned a new or freshly (fully) rebuilt engine long
enough to find out how long it will last under this regimen; but my 1980
Chevy went over 250,000 miles without having the heads off, before being
junked for reasons unrelated (I believe) to wear or oil changes.

Randall