Re: Starter question

To: Mickylong@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter question
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:03:57 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/2002 7:37:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mickylong@aol.com writes:

> Took the six for a four mile drive and parked it for the
> night.  Today I went to start it up to try the carb adjustment again and
> after starting once I suddenly starting getting only a dull click out of
> the
> starter.  Sounds like (and seems like from the ammeter) that I've got a
> hung-up starter.  My new question is ... how likely is it that I'm in for a
>
> new starter vs. a new solenoid or something easier.

If the starter is hung up (jammed drive), you should be able to free it by
rocking the car back and forth in gear. But from what you describe, I'd say
the more likely problem is dirty connections anywhere from (and including)
the battery down to the starter and solenoid. Could be that a GENTLE hammer
tap on the battery cable end is all you'll need for the moment; long-term
"fix" is to remove, clean and refit all the major power connections.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.