Spitfire Exhaust

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Exhaust
From: HDRIDER570@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:16:00 EDT
Just a note.  I had purchased one of the Roadster Factory's "left over" stock
exhaust systems for an early Spitfire a while back.  I modified it to fit my
Herald by adding a section of straight pipe to increase the length.  Once
installed I found it a bit too loud for my taste.  I have since installed one
of the J. C. Whitney's 1 1/2" Motorcycle baffles in the first muffler ($3.69)
and it has reduced the noise considerably and gotten rid of the
brrraaaaaaatttttt at mid revs.

I inserted the baffle in the front section of the muffler and placed it far
enough in so that the baffled section is completely within the muffler proper
(not in the inlet pipe).  I welded it in place as it would be difficult (if
not impossible) to use the supplied bolt in this location.

No noticeable performance loss and quite a pleasant tone.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA