Re: More about sluggish performance on my GT6

To: galahad@uslink.net ("Roger Langley"), triumphs@autox.team.net ("Triumph List")
Subject: Re: More about sluggish performance on my GT6
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:47:00 -0400
In a message dated Wed, 25 Sep 2002 7:27:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Roger
Langley" <galahad@uslink.net> writes:

>Michael Porter commented "On a `71, you should not have vacuum advance."
>The car definitely has a vacuum advance and is a '71 according to the door
>plate.  So, it looks like I have a switch on the distributor or the engine.

What's the engine number?

>The COMM number is KF1245  I know from the VTR web site that this is a USA
>smogged Mark3.

Right.

>But there is a second number on the emissions plate (on tub
>by driver's left foot) that says 1083 KF and (This is where I got the 4%
>after from) I don't understand that number.

Is it on a body-color-painted tag? That would be the body number, which sounds
about right relative to the commission number you quoted.

>I couldn't find a number on
>the block casting but it does say "STANPART" which I thought was only used
>for replacement parts and not for new.

No, it would be on all "original" bits manufactured by Triumph. You'll find it
on the engine, and you'll also find it on original front trunnions, for
example. (You won't find it on brake or electrical components, of course;
there'll you'll find Girling or Lucas, respectively.)

>I am launching into all of this because it seems crucial to find out what I
>have in there before I muck around with it or am I being way too fussy?

Not at all. Hard to know what to do if you don't know what you're doing it to.
;-) So, in this case, knowing what you have for an engine (and distributor,
which should be Delco on an original '71 GT6) would make a bit of a difference!

--Andy Mace