TR3 Steering Stiffness ?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Steering Stiffness ?
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:21:34 -0700
I have just finished a complete rebuild of the suspension on my 56 TR3.
When first installing the trunnions to the vertical links, they seemed very
tight.  I could turn them, but it required some effort.  This was on the
workbench.

Now after bolting everything up, (except the steering and shocks), and
installing the springs, it is impossible to turn the suspension on either
side by hand, although a medium tapping with a hammer helped center both
sides.

Once the tie rods and snubbers are hooked up, and the car is sitting on it's
tires, will the steering wheel be able to exert enough force to turn the
wheels?  Is this just "new parts" tightness?

Ah wait, here's a clue, the last thing I did before installing the springs
was to attach the new upper ball joints.  They turned fine before the
up-rated TR6 springs went in.  My guess is that without the shocks and
snubbers, the suspension geometry is binding it up a little.  Or could I
have tightened the ball joint too much?

Anyone have any ideas?