TR4: clutch misbehaving steven_newellboys -- Please report any abuse to

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4: clutch misbehaving steven_newellboys -- Please report any abuse to abuse@bizland-inc.com
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:05:04 -0600
I've been having a little trouble with the clutch on my '62 TR4. I first noticed
a slightly lower engagement after taking over from a guest driver this summer --
I almost stalled the car when I pulled away since the clutch engaged fairly
close to the floor. Didn't happen again for a couple weeks, and the pedal felt
normal. But every once in a while the clutch would engage quickly, close to the
floor. A couple times I've pumped the clutch which seemed to help. Tonight,
picking up pizza, the pedal felt very low when I backed out and the clutch
didn't seem to work when I stepped on the pedal, braking, to shift into first. I
had to force the shifter into neutral and pump the clutch pedal, after which is
worked normally.

What should I be looking at to troubleshoot the clutch? Do these symptoms sound
more like one problem than another? The fluid isn't low, but it also hasn't been
changed in 3 years. The clutch was replaced in late '99 or early '00 before I
bought the car.

Clue which may or may not be relevant: the clutch return spring sprung into the
yard during the engine rebuild, and the hardware store replacement was at first
too tight so it was stretched so the clutch would work nicely. Maybe this would
contribute to my problem?

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO