RE:TR 4 cyl engine miss long

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:TR 4 cyl engine miss long
From: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@anheuser-busch.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:57:17 -0500
Thanks to Ted S., Cliff H., Irv K.and Mike K. for helpful suggestions.

I think maybe one carb is too lean as per Ted's suggestion.

I have always judged rich/lean based on plug color. I have only started
working/driving this car for the last two years though I drove it regularly from
1977 - 1984. Until I recently had throttle shafts re-bushed, I was always
running rich giving me dry black plugs and no proper basis for judgment. My
judgment of proper plug color is based on the fuel available in 1977-84. I'm
sure new fuel formulations make this a dubious comparison.

What is the correct plug color for a proper mixture?

During my adjusting and checking, I've noticed the plugs go from black - dark
brown - medium brown - tan - light tan.
Plugs number 3 & 4 are currently between tan & light tan. Plugs 1 & 2 are dark
brown around the electrode and black around the perimeter. My interpretation is
that one carb is close to correct (cyl 3&4) and one is rich (1&2). I'm thinking
that maybe cyl 3 & 4 are too lean and 1 & 2 are too rich. I don't have a
Colortune - perhaps the 2003 'toy' budget will include one.

I plan to do the following to get rid of the engine miss:

1.) Richer on 3 & 4 and Leaner on 1 & 2 - if that doesn't work...
2.) Remove air filters - if that doesn't work...
3.) Getting a 2nd mortgage and doing a complete frame-off restoration (with a
vintage TR2-3 Geranium paint job).

Mark A. Evans

1966 TR4A IRS CTC63970 LO 'Tressy'
Acworth, Georgia - USA