RE: TR 4 cyl engine miss - long

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR 4 cyl engine miss - long
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 07:27:23 -0700 o rp.anheuser-busch.com>
> I have an unusual -nagging- problem as I continue to fine tune my
> TR4A. When
> accelerating through the gears at full throttle - pedal to the
> floor - I have a
> flat spot between 4050 and 4200 RPM. This occurs only in 2nd, 3rd
> and 4th gear.
> If I get it revved through 4200 RPM, it goes away.

Mark, I don't recognize those symptoms, but here's a few things to try :

Make sure the carb pistons move absolutely smooth in their bores, without
even the noise of dragging.  If there is any detectable play from side to
side, consider replacing the pistons and domes with new (available from
Burlen, I think).

Try substituting points for the Pertronix.

Try a different set of spark plugs.

Do a "plug cut", ie when the problem occurs, turn off the ignition switch
and drop the clutch, park the car without turning the engine any further.
Pull the plugs and check for any unusual conditions.

Good Luck
Randall