Big thanks, was:Admission of ignorance, plea for help

To: mmarr@nexant.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Big thanks, was:Admission of ignorance, plea for help
From: Lftlesl@aol.com
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:58:39 -0400
To all who helped me understand putting my TR3 engine on a stand, especially
Michael, Joe, Jack and Brian, thank you!

I'm sorry it has taken so long to respond, but my restoration is proceeding in
geologic time, and I just got around to actually lifting the beast.

For David and the rest who are considering the same maneuver, here's how I did
it (ymmv).

I rented a good engine hoist (about $35). That made the job possible.

Be very careful during the initial lift. There is a lot of wracking and torque
going on as the engine lifts away from the chassis. The sound of your car
falling off its jackstands is awful. Don't ask how I know.

Following list advice, I slipped the mounting bracket off the engine stand and
applied it to the engine, then slipped it back onto the stand. Worked great.

For bolts, I used four, eight inch long pieces of 5/16 coarse threaded rod.
Because the TR3 engine hangs out farther than the makers of the engine stand
expected, I used some 3.5 inch long, 3/4 inch pipe nipples for spacers. One
lister suggested using washers, which would have worked, but the pipe nipples
were cheaper.  Nyloc nuts and big washers secured the threaded rod to the
mounting bracket.

While I had the hoise, I lifted the chassis onto saw horses. It is much easier
to work on waist-high than knee-high.

Once again, this enterprise demonstrated the value of the list. Thanks so much!

Les Landon
1962 TR3B TCF644L
Baton Rouge