Re: Bosch Plug gaps

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: Bosch Plug gaps
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 14:28:37 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall Young wrote:

> > The platinum plating on the
> > center electrode is very thin and easily damaged,
>
> Plating ?  Do you know something Bosch isn't telling us ?
>
> "Bosch Platinum features a pure platinum center electrode"
> http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/SparkPlugs/Platinum/

While I'm always suspicious of advertising language, it probably is
solid. After roughly computing the possible volume and looking at
platinum prices, the platinum cost could be as little as 20-25 cents a
plug. (BTW, platinum would have been a good investment--two or three
years ago, it was about $380-400/troy, and it's now ~$560 on the NY spot
market.)

Nevertheless, the admonition not to use traditional gap-checking and
gapping tools still applies (after some further reading, it's more
likely, on current plugs, to prevent electrode breakage due to the small
diameter). The Bosch gapping tool is p/n 99.012.910 and is about $9.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....