Where's that GAS SMELL FROM ? I know!

To: jmerone@rocketmail.com
Subject: Where's that GAS SMELL FROM ? I know!
From: Sherman D Taffel <staffel@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:33:50 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
JOE:
   Other than from the evaporation at the carbs upon cooldown, this is aproblem
with the old cars. When I put my TR4 in its new 'Triumph Workshop' last January
(2001), I began to notice the gas oder around the rear of the car. I had
replaced the fuel sending unit gasket the year before when it still was a
'covered outside' deal; and found no weeps there. I  added gasket cementon the
gasket this time -  'just in case'.

Tightened the clamps on the filler tube again- there was some  improvement
after a week had  passed.  I still noted a 'smell' , and traced it to being
strongest 'under the cover' by the filler cap (new cap), as oppossed to being
stronger in the trunk.

Examiunging the new filler cap most carefully, I noted the seal was not quite
the same as the original design (thinner), and the shape of the curve on the
'sealing disc' slightly less than the original Triumph design.  I added two
plys of plastic (from a ziplock bag) under the filler cap to help seal - and it
in fact Made a big difference - all through the winter. Only had to vent the
workshop once every two weeks.

However, We were out cruising last weekend, and I topped off the tank on the
way home. Probably used about a gallon (22 miles) since the fill up and now the
car is back in the workshop and the 'reek of fuel' is again VERY strong.

I am convinced its still the cap seal. I am also convinced the problem is also
due to the new formulations of the gas- as we all know the gas 'stink' is much
more severe than the stuff they sold when the cars and we were younger.

 Notice on the new cars with 'Racing Style Flip Top Fuel
Fillers'-(Mitsubishi's, Audi TT's) they have modern screw on caps underneath-
and the Emisssions guys check the seals for Vapors when Emissions Testing.

I will 'use some of the tank' as soon as the rain clears this week and report
back. It may be I need to return to the garage with 1/2 tank or less to keep
the expansion and evaporation to a minimum with the now seasonal change
temperature swings.

When it was 100^ day and 88-90^ night-the change was not like now- 60^ nights
85^ days. Anyway, that's my current hypothesis.
Your not ALONE! in this challenge!

Sherman Taffel
TR4 CT40054L
Columbia MD