Re: TR6 Driveshaft Splined Shaft Rebuild Question...

To: Nancy and Ken Streeter <knstreeter@attbi.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Driveshaft Splined Shaft Rebuild Question...
From: <stantr6@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 22:20:51 -0400
Ken wrote:

>  2 - While I have the driveshaft out of the car, what is the list
>      consensus as to what, if anything, should be done in rebuilding
>      the splined section of the driveshaft.  My factory manual for the
>      TR6 doesn't list any procedures for rebuilding the shaft, even
>      though the manual depicts the splined shaft.  However, my Haynes TR6
>      manual has a one-sentence instruction along the lines of "fit the
>      dust cap, steel washer, and a new cork gasket over the splined part
>      of the propeller shaft."  If I do disassemble the splined shaft, are
>      there any suggestions as to what to use for a lubricant?  There seems
>      to be very little, if any lubricant on my currently disassembled
>      driveshaft.  It seems to me that without a rubber boot over the
>      whole thing that regular axle bearing grease may retain dirt and
>      actually hasten wear.  Suggestions?

Ken,
Used bearing grease on mine.  The cork seal is NLA - I used one of those felt
pads that go under battery terminals (red or green - your choice).  I had to
fold it in half and enlarge the interior diameter.

Stan Kinmonth
1974 TR6, Frame-off coming back together.
http:\\home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/PWP-stan6restore