Re: no brake pedal

To: "Alan" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: no brake pedal
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 09:11:27 -0500
Cc: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
At 10:12 AM 9/1/02 -0400, Alan wrote:

>I've experienced my third loss of brake pressure in three months.   Time for
>action.
>The only leak I see is a slight trickle where the M/C meets the brake servo.
>My guess is the master cylinder needs attention.
>Anybody had good success rebuilding the brake M/C or is best to just buy a new
>complete unit?

The best way to tell is to remove and disassemble the MC and then see what
it looks like inside. If the bores are smooth, a rebuild should be
successful. If there are scratches and pits in there, you'll need to have
the MC re-sleeved or you'll need a new one. To disassemble the MC, you'll
need a fairly good sized allen wrench (I got mine at Sears) to be able to
remove the tipping valve.

>Gee, do you think M/C needs to be rebuilt because its 26 years old or because
>I put silicone in the system 2 years ago?

I'll say that the age has more to do with it than the silicone.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U (silicone brake fluid since 1993)
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58 (AP550 in this one)
Highland Park, IL