RE: R&R Rear Tranny Seal?

To: "David Delano" <ddelano_98@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: R&R Rear Tranny Seal?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 20:09:32 -0700
> Any suggestions about how to replace this seal?  It's
> a $3 part from Moss but the labor looks pretty
> involved.  Remove tranny tunnel (no small feat in
> itself), remove drive shaft (this can be fun), then
> the driven flange (how hard is this?)

Sometimes they slide right off, but usually they require some encouragement.
I use a brass hammer rapping fairly hard on the ears, and rotating the
flange between raps.

> and then from
> there it looks like the seal can come out (how to do
> this?)  Is there some kind of puller that can grab it
> and yank it out?

I haven't tried it, but HF sells a slide hammer kit that includes jaws to
pull seals.  If I were doing it again in the car, I would probably try one
of those.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5469

However, I've always used a big screwdriver, or something similar to
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35556

Randall