Inoperative TR6 horns

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Inoperative TR6 horns
From: Cromracker2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 07:26:16 EDT
Part 1:

    Oh mighty gurus of the Triumph List, I solicit your collective wisdom.
The horns on the new addition don't work. I obtained a set of horns and after
taking them apart for a cleaning(one had a stuck contact) and testing them, I
now have two horns that work. Not when I press the button though. To make a
long story short, I have it narrowed down to this: I jumped a ground from the
zerk fitting on the steering rack to one of the bolts in the first coupling
of the steering shaft and viola, the horns work when I push the button. The
poser is: is there supposed to be a ground strap between these two points or
should I be looking somewhere else? Any suggestions are appreciated 'cause at
this point I have a pile of rocks on the seat next to me in case I need to
get someone's attention. I don't think that the State Troopers would approve.
Cheers to all!

Part 2:

    After doing a little research, I have found references to illustrate the
problem that I am experiencing. At the Moss Motors web site, you can click
onto TR 250/6, then steering/suspension, then steering rack. Item #54 is a
ground strap; where is this item attached? It is almost in a position that
duplicates where I have placed my jumper wire. My jumper wire runs from the
plug/fitting on top of the steering rack damper to the universal joint that
is between the steering rack and the intermediate steering shaft. The ground
strap that connects the intermediate shaft to the upper shaft at the rubber
coupling is in place and the ground strap that connects to the steering rack
damper runs into the wiring harness. I can see no other evidence of
grounding. If I am missing this strap, at what two points is it attached? The
area of concern is also illustrated in Bentley's, page 364, at the bottom of
the page. I am running a jumper from the cap on the steering rack damper to
the first pinch bolt of the universal joint. Am I missing something? I am at
a loss to figure out how to ground from the damper to the shaft without
twisting the wire around the shaft every time the shaft rotates. Thanks for
the use of your brain power in advance,

                                                    Jim McArthur
                                                    '74 TR6   CF17672U