Re: Ebay TR6 VIN number

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ebay TR6 VIN number
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 21:01:08 +0100
I'm obliged to the people who have written to me off list stating
their cars bear plates with dates on them. What I should have said in
my earlier post - but didn't - is that to the best of my recollection
up to the time I left BL in late 1972, no Triumphs left the factory
with production dates stamped on their commission plates. This may
well have changed in later years and was probably peculiar to the
North American market. Let's face it, the cars destined for that
market were by then so radically different in terms of equipment and
general appearance, they almost demanded separate identities. Later
cars made after this date that I have seen in the UK and Europe do not
have build or compliance dates on their ID's for the reasons stated in
my first post. My own newly acquired 2000 that Gaydon records show as
built on 29th May 1974, was not first registered until January 1975
but there's nothing on the car or documentation to indicate the build
date. In fact, the specification on first registration is different as
to how it came off the line eight months earlier.

Jonmac