RE: Bleeder nipple

To: Kevin Kealty <kkealty@rogers.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bleeder nipple
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 11:08:24 -0700
Kevin :

Don't try to use an 'Easy-out' or anything similar with the caliper on the
car, it will only break off and compound the problem many times.  (Those
things are harder than any drill bit.)

Remove the caliper from the car and strip out the pistons and seals.
(You'll probably want to replace the seals, use your judgment about the
pistons).  You can try your favorite penetrating oil, heat and an Easy-out
if you want, but be careful not to break it.  If that fails (and it almost
always has for me), use a Dremel to clean up the broken end of the bleed
screw, then use a drill bit (preferably in a drill press) slightly smaller
than the minor diameter of the bleed screw to drill through the center of
the screw.  (Sorry, don't have my charts handy to give you a drill size.)
Stop drilling before you get to the end of the screw.  Now use a dental pick
to break and pick out the remains of the bleed screw, followed by a
bottoming tap to clean up.

Randall