RE: Gaskets and distributor endplay

To: hfader@usa.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Gaskets and distributor endplay
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:40:32 EDT
 >>What do you think the consequences
of too much play in the distributor would be? Would the drive gear bounce
around or something?<<

your timing might have a few degrees more of variation..

unfortunately I didn't understand the critical importance of the 'shim
concept' when I was younger (took a short-cut and made a gasket instead of
correctly fitting a shim pack) - did some damage to the gears/bushing/and
pedestal (that I found 20 years later..) turns out as the gasket leaked
(because pedestal bottomed out with soft gasket) I kept trying to tighten
pedestal down and it ended up putting great pressure on drive gear ... and
dragged for years!

my shortcut ruined some very expensive pieces..

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74