Miata vs. TR6 drag race

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Miata vs. TR6 drag race
From: JASandPJS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:15:35 EDT
Back on 3/27 I posted the following question;

>I seem to remember about 2 weeks ago someone posted that they were going to
>drag race a '90 Miata with their TR6 and were looking for advice.
>Anyone know who won?

As it turns out I wasn't dreaming, it was on the 6-pack list.  Came across
the following today for anyone who doesn't read that list.

>Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:06:05 -0400
>From: Jim Hurley <hurls@world.std.com>
>Subject: Miata Race

>Whatever happened to that drag race between someone on the list and a
>co-worker with a Miata. There was a healthy discussion, with lots of
>suggestions.

>Just curious.

>Jim Hurley            "Life is too short for a backfire!"
>75 TR6

and the following reply;

>Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:57:14 EDT
>From: Gameparker@cs.com
>Subject: Re: Miata Race

>Jim,
>to coin a phrase:  "SMOKED HIM!"  Funny, but you wouldn't think that my
>5200rpm max would match, indeed exceed his 6500+rpm shifting, but at the end

>of a quarter mile I could just see 1 headlight in my rear view mirror (in
>other words:  I was about a car length ahead and still pulling away).  Beat
>him twice in two runs that night.  Then he insisted we swap cars, which I
was
>loathe to doing but agreed anyway.  In that third run with me at the Miata's

>wheel, he beat me by a bumper (and yes list, I was trying my hardest).  Just

>thankful he didn't blow my motor.
>BOTTOM LINE:  We should be very proud of our vehicles, not only for the way
>they look, and their heritage, but for their performance by modern day
>standards.  Like I told my red-faced miata friend that night:  "Zoom Zoom
>This!"  Of course the verbal war began:  No wonder you won:  six cylinders
>four, fast road cam, shaved head, blah blah blah.  My reply:  YOU wanted to
>race ME, thirty year old car, inferior fuel delivery system.  Shut him up.
>I am trying to convert the video to clip that you all can view.  I will let
>you know if and when it works.
>Thanks and Regards
>Geoff Parker

All right! Way to go Geoff, like you said "Zoom Zoom This!".  I'm going out
tonight and hunt Miatas!

John, '71 TR6
Charleston, WV

John, '71 TR6