Re: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: Re: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 22:41:16 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 4/21/2002 6:21:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:

> With due respect to Bill, I'd be interested to see the source material
> he used to come to this conclusion. AFAIK, alternators on 4A's were
> never offered as a line fit option. They may have been available thru
> dealers but not as OE. The period approximately from 1967 to 1969 saw
> the whole product range change from dynamos to alternators - with the
> possible exception of the Herald 1200. Bill?

John, I suspect it was the same situation with the Herald as it was with the
TR4A. The Fifth Edition Herald 1200 Spare Parts Catalogue lists parts to fit
the Lucas 11AC alternator (and separate regulator). Otherwise, the TR250 was
possibly the first Triumph in the US market to be fitted with an alternator
in 1968 (again with separate regulator). I know that the 1970 GT6+ had an
alternator (don't know for sure about the 1969 models), and I don't think
Spitfires had them until the MkIV.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.