RE: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:42:55 -0700
> Alternators vs Generators?
> When did Triumph start putting them in?

According to Bill Piggott, alternators were optional on the TR4A.  By 1968
(TR5/250) they were standard equipment.  So, as someone already suggested,
Triumph would also have used an alternator, if they had been available and
economical.

I wonder what the relative numbers are, of Triumph-badged cars originally
fitted with alternators vs dynamos ?  The name only lasted for 15 years or
so after the advent of the alternator, yet I believe the production rate was
far higher then than in the early years ...

> I imagine converting to an alternator in 68 would have been a
> good bit more
> controversial than it is today.

On the contrary, back then they were just fun old cars.  No one worried
about being 'correct' or 'less of a Triumph', only 'keeping them on the
road'.  I converted my 59 TR3A in 1974 and as I recall, everyone thought it
was a great idea except the dealer who had been selling me rebuilt
generators !

Randall