eBay "bidding" techniques (was: [TR250] Surrey Top)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: eBay "bidding" techniques (was: [TR250] Surrey Top)
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:04:53 -0500
    Adrian> I agree with Jim I would expect most of the car attached to the
    Adrian> Surrey top at this price and the soft top piece is damaged!.
    Adrian> The purchaser in this instance must be desparate.

I always wonder when I examine the bidder list and see one person with the
little sunglasses icon (doesn't that indicate they just changed their
nickname?) who made several bids during the middle of the auction which
effectively ran the price up, but then didn't win the auction.  Not saying
the price was run up in this case, but it does make me wonder.

Another technique that seems to pop up from time-to-time is what I like to
think of as the "Buy-It-Now bailout".  An item will go up for auction using
Buy-It-Now, never get any bids, then within a day of the auction's end,
presto, someone comes in with a buy-it-now bid.  I think sellers use this
technique to avoid using reserve prices and not have their stuff go for good
deals.  There are some bicycle parts I monitor on eBay sold by the same
seller for which that seems to happen a lot.

--
Skip Montanaro
http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/tr250.html