Forwarded: TR4 Engine Noise Interference

Subject: Forwarded: TR4 Engine Noise Interference
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:15:36 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by List Administration
>     Subject: TR4 Engine Noise Interference

I've installed a audio amp, to boost the power from a portable CD
player to a set of car audio speakers.  Great sound with the engine
off, but once I started it I get a ticking noise through the speakers.
I've connected my power directly to the fuse box.  Actually, I had
initially connected it to the accessory side of the ignition switch.
With this setup, the interference was so bad that the sound would
break up.  Anyway, after the connection to the fuse box, I tried
installing a 10 amp noise filter(RadioShack).  No help there, so now I
need the advice of the list.  Should I change the power source
connection?  Do I need to change the plug wires?  In case it makes a
difference, I using Pertronix ignition.  Any help would be
appreciated.  I love the sound of the engine, but sometimes the ride
just needs tunes to complete.
<

Paul, in order to determine if the source of the noise is the generator or
the ignition system, perform this simple test:  Disconnect the fan belt and
start the engine.  If the noise is still there then the noise is from the
ignition system.  If the noise goes away then continue to look at the poewr
source.

If it is from the ignition system try resistance plugs and then resistance
wires.  Then try adding a condensor (capacitor) at the coil hot lead.

If it is not from the ignition system then try connecting the power lead
directly to the battery.  Use a fuse.

good luck

Dave