TR3 oil filter cartridges

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 oil filter cartridges
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:43:38 -0400
I have just discovered that a Unipart GFE104 that I got for my TR3, fit in
my tractor when I suddenly needed it. Not too surprising given the
similarities of the engines.
The GFE104 seems kind of flimsy though, seeing as it's corrugated filter
paper resisting the pressure applied to its ends. I wouldn't have thought
of it except that the old filter that came out had a perforated metal
sleeve around it, which looked to be a far superior construction.
So then I'm in at the local UAP/NAPA and I happen to ask the guy whether he
can get a filter for a 1952 Ferguson TEA20 tractor (with the Standard Motor
Company engine). "I always keep one in stock!" says he, "there are a lot
more of those around then you think!" It's NAPA #1157 (sounds like a light
bulb to me) but when he gets it out to show me it's a Wix #51157 - same
thing; Wix makes the NAPA filters.

Hmm - the local NAPA dealer keeps TR3 filters in stock. Interesting, but if
you go to http://www.wixfilters.com and search on a TR3, you get a 51302.
And if you search on the tractor, you get 51183.

So since (unless there is a mistake) these filters are physically the same
size:
a) why the discrepancies? i.e. why multiple models of this old cartridge? and,
b) what Wix filters are you people using?

Moot for all you spin-on conversion people, I know (and indeed I am one
myself), but I am interested nonetheless, being a Wix fan.
TIA,
Jim Wallace (not the politician)
2TS81417L
TEA20 273833