Re: wiper park problems - dirty rivets

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wiper park problems - dirty rivets
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:17:30 EDT
Cc: ryoung@navcomtech.com, dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk
> > Is there anything that I can do to help the connectivity between the top
> > metal plate and the rivets that go through them?
>
> Peter :
>
> I would try tightening the rivets a little, by resting the outside end on
> something pretty firm (brass perhaps), and using a hammer and pin punch to
> stake the inside end a little more.  Probably not a real high chance of
> success, but I can't think of anything else that won't be visible from
> outside.
>
> Randall

Randall,

I did just as you said and pin punched the rivets from the inside. This now
gave me continuity through the park plate. I then hooked power up with hot
going in terminal #1 and negative to terminal #3 (the body). I got a big
spark and then nothing. I checked the continuity again through the rivets and
I lost it. I took everything apart again, repunched the rivets and put it
back together. This time I hooked hot to terminal #2 and negative to #3.
Worked like a charm. Motor turned for about two seconds then parked.

Peter Schoppelry
'63 TR4