Re: TR3 Fat Headgasket

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, BritCrs@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Fat Headgasket
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:07:46 EDT
In a message dated 4/13/2002 10:18:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
BritCrs@aol.com writes:

> Can anyone lead me to the source for thick headgaskets used to lower the
> compression ratio? I know there was a discussion on the list some time ago
> but I didn't save it and I am too lame to make the archives work.
> I'm building an engine for a friends racecar project and all of his heads
> have been severely milled. I haven't cc'd them yet but rough calcs look
> like
> they were running about 12:1. This car last raced in the early 70's.
> Any other ideas would be appreciated.
>     Marv James

Marv,
I too would be very interested in a thick head gasket.  The head on my TR3B
has been milled too skinny and the result is a hot running motor.  I also
have had a problem adjusting the valves for years.  There are aluminum
spacers under the rocker shaft pedals and I will adjust the valves only to
find they are out again a day later.  The valves are also very loud which is
annoying to me.
Never understood why an engine rebuilder will shave head as a matter of
course whether they need it or not.  You simply cannot easily buy high enough
octane gas to make them run smoothly with a high compression ratio.  I say
the cars were fast enough in stock form.  Now if it is a race car that's a
different story.  Do you want the motor to last a couple of years or like two
races?
I have been told that you can use two regular head gaskets. Has anyone tried
that?
Darrell Floyd
63 TR3B  TCF 2645 LO