Re: Body Work Horror #195

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Body Work Horror #195
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:32:41 -0500
>Ok, here is a question for all the experienced restorers who have used
Feather Fill high build primer, to straighten out the sanding marks, etc
before repainting...

>After careful application of self etching primer to the entirety of the
exterior, I went today to put a test coat of "Feather Fill" on the car, in
order to find out how to spray it well. Reading the directions for the first
time, I discovered the following line- "Do not use over self-etching
primers" At which point the frustration bell went off, seeing how the whole
area needing the Feather Fill is already covered with self etch primer!

>So my question is, should I just return the can to the place of purchase

I'd return the can.  Jay Mitchell of the Europa list, a man I trust more
than most folks on Lotus questions, has said that Featherfill is a waste of
time.  According to Jay, the stuff creates its own pinholes and you just
keep repairing it on a never-ending make-work project.

Jay says that his favorite is Duratec, but I don't know what foibles it
might have for steel cars.  It might not like self-etching primers either.

Gary Bouffard of this list has recommended RAGE GOLD for metal cars.  I will
let others tell you how that stuff likes self-etching primers.

Me, I never seem to get to the filler stage on the Europa.  I still have an
unopened can of Vette Bond.  I'm not planning on filling anything on the TR4
in the near future.

I suppose the Europa's unrelentingly-ugly condition will make the TR4 look
better.  This has worked for several cars over the years.  For a fee, I can
bring the Europa over to make your car appear better, also.  For a little
extra, I can bring my ugly Suburban, too.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org