Re: SU Tuning Question:/ Blower HELP.

To: Joseph J Burlein <tr6guy@juno.com>
Subject: Re: SU Tuning Question:/ Blower HELP.
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 22:56:51 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>From what you describe the car is running well except for the smell and
poor mileage. When I put my foot in to it I can watch the fuel gauge
move. One or two open throttle runs & I swear it's like I have a hole in
the tank. The HD8 can pass allot of fuel if needed & this tank only
holds 10-12 gal of gas.
I seem to remember you had moved recently further north in which case
you may be suffering from fuel puddling. The supercharger configuration
does not allow for any water circulation around the carb manifold to
warm the carb. The HD's ,even in the summer are cold after a sustained
ride at speed. Just the air flow through carb keeps it as cold as a
refrigerator. I have battled this in temps below 40 degrees. Because my
air intake is now behind my grill it's even worse when in those temps.
Since I live in the north east and drive my car all year round ( except
if there's snow on the ground ,I have some compassion) I have been
working on something for next winter to warm the intake air.
One of the first things I would do is change to a UVB or UVC needle ,
The changes look minor but made a big drivability change. See attached
chart. All of the carbs I know of were shipped with UT needles.
My car also runs on the rich side but when leaning it out you run a fine
line to detonation under boost. This set up likes warm weather even
though cold air is more dense because of the carb arrangement. I too
have carbon build up at the rear of the plenum around the blow-off
valve. Haven't been able to figure it out and it hasn't been a problem
since I still see 9lbs of max boost with the stock pulley.
PS  I also use trany fluid in the carb instead of oil. It seems less
susceptible to thickening than oil in the cold temps & lets the piston
react faster.

--
Mitch Seff
75 TR6

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
needle chart.jpg]