General Electrical Probems...

To: David Delano <ddelano_98@yahoo.com>
Subject: General Electrical Probems...
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:44:19 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by David Delano
>Where to begin is the question - Headlights (low and
high) work, High beam indicator works, ignition and
dash indicator bulb works...

Everything else elecrical (Tail lights, Turn
indicators, Parking lamps, brake lights, gauge
illuminators, wiper motor, heater motor, horn) are all
dead...

from what I have read the first step is cleaning all
contact points and making sure there are good
connections.  Is there a general ground somewhere for
these components that might be bad?  Testing each
circuit one by one seems like the long way to go when
this many things are not working...

Are these circuits like a sting of serial circuits
that are all inter-connected so that if one component
goes bad (license plate lamp for example) then they
all die?  Sort of like finding the bad bulb in a sting
of x-mas lights???
<

Dave,

No, these are not series wired.  They are not even parallel wired.  The
wipers, turn signals, gauges, heater and brake lights run off the green
wire fuse which is powered from the white wire which is from the ignition
switch (so check these with the key ON).  Also powered by the white wire is
the coil.  Does the engine run?   If so then check the fuses.

The tail lights, parking lights, gauge lights and (I think) the horn) do
not work off  the ignition switch.  I forget how the TR4 is wired but on
the TR3 there is a separate fuse for the horns which comes off of the brown
wire circuit (always hot).  The lights also work off of the brown wire
circuit.  But all the lights work off of the same switch contact so that is
where I would start.

Good luck

Dave Massey