TR6 block and head questions

To: "Don Marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>
Subject: TR6 block and head questions
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:38:05 -0500
Message text written by "Don Marshall"
>1)  Are the blocks the same and is there anything that's not
>interchangeable, such as crank, rods, water pump, distributor, seals, etc?

I don't know for sure but I think they are.

>2)  The heads look to be slightly different where the coolant openings
are,
>can an early head be put on a late block without problems?

I don't know but I ran a late model head on an early block for 10+ years
without realizing it (bloody DPO!)

>3)  The early head is about 1/8" thinner than the late head, based on my
>cheap caliper set.  Is that the difference between the higher compression
>ratio of the earlier cars and the low compression of the later ones (US)?
>What should the stock thickness of the early head be?

Yes.  In Kasner's book he details compression increases and indicates
different amounts of shaving for early and late heads.

>4)  The early head came with a Cannon manifold and triple webers.  If I
have
>to use the late head for some reason, is there any difference on the
intake
>side to prevent the Cannon from bolting right up?  Will the stock late
>intake manifold fit the early head in case I decide not to use the Webers?

No.  The intake ports were repositioned on the later head and the ports
will not line up.  It will work (although intake leaks may be a problem)
but the mis-alignment of the ports will negate any gains from the better
intake.  Turbulence at the interface will hamper air flow.

>5)  Any difference in the exhaust manifolds that would prevent putting an
>early manifold on the late head or visa versa?

No.  The exhaust manifolds are interchangeable.  This can be verified by
holding manifold gaskets to the heads.  If you have one of each (both
gasket and head) hold each gasket up to each head and you will see that the
exhaust ports line up every time, but the intake ports are offset about
half the time.

Cheers

Dave