Re: Storing TR3 battery over winter

To: "INTERNET:ZinkZ10C@aol.com" <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Storing TR3 battery over winter
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 19:49:26 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:ZinkZ10C@aol.com
>Sealed Lead Acid batteries ( SLA) also sometimes called gel cells, starved

electrolyte or acrobatic aircraft batteries must have a overpressure relief

to prevent explosion.  The Optima needs to have some sort of overpressure
system.  From what I've read, charging any SLA upsidedown is not
recommended
thought they can be discharged in this position.
<

The "Gel-Cells" we use in our battery powered equipment can be operated in
any position.  We typically mount them on their sides and have not
experienced a position related problem in 5 years.  However, we use a fully
automatic charger that first charges at constant current, then "tops" up at
a different level and then switches to a "float" voltage mode.  This
charger was developed specifically for gel-cells and as such it has charge
voltage thresholds that are different than those used on "wet cells."  If
you attempt to charge a gell cell with a standard charger it will
overcharge and swell up or vent.  Or both.  (Ask me how I know)

Cheers

Dave