Re: alternators?

To: <Shrack04@aol.com>, " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: alternators?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 01 12:59:02 -0800
>Also,, I posted questions about timing and vacuum advance on my TR3,, and
>wondered if anyone had a comment about the advance and rpm I listed,,   I'm
>only guessing that the figures I listed would be right.   THANKS

No one ever replied to that?

Max combined engine timing should be 33 to 34 degrees.

Initial distributor timing should be set per the owner's manual when
using a stock cam and your timing chain is not streched.  As your timing
chain wears (streches) the timing will need to be set a little more
advanced to make up for the change in crank to cam timing.

Hotter cams will require a more advanced initial timing (so the advance
needs to be less to make 34 degrees total advance)

The advance should not start kicking in until a couple hundred RPM above
idle.  If it kicks in too early (at idle RPM) your idle speed will vary
with a number of factors because the advance affects the idle RPM, which
affects the advance & so on.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937