Re: Vacuum and timing

To: "TR Listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vacuum and timing
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 08:34:14 -0600
Randall  wrote:

> I believe the TR6 vacuum advance was deleted in mid-1970, again only for
> USA models.

My '71 TR6, bought new in December 1970 the day it came into the dealership
(i.e. it was probably relatively fresh production, and indeed was labeled as a
'71), was set up for vacuum retard as built.  However, the distributor had
both vacuum retard and advance dashpots fitted - the retard was connected and
the advance dashpot was capped.  To run the car in Showroom Stock the next
spring, I merely moved the vacuum hose to the advance side, and (presumably -
I really don't recall) re-routed the other end of the hose to a manifold
source.  Heck, I really don't even remember if it made any difference, but I'm
sure it made me feel better that I'd defeated the meager smog accommodations
;-)

Karl Vacek
'66 TR4A
'68 TR250