RE: Interpreting Compression Test

To: "'Randall'" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Interpreting Compression Test
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:44:57 -0500
I have investigated this a bit more and consulted with a friend who is a
powertrain development engineer. Randall, you are absolutely correct about
this. I used 3 squirts of oil from my oil can for the wet compression test.
I measured this last night and it comes to about one teaspoon or 5 cc. The
cylinder volume at TDC is about 61 cc, so 5 cc of oil is significant. Our
preliminary calculations show this can give about a 9% increase in peak
pressure. I saw between 4% and 17%. But I didn't precisely measure the oil,
I just squirted.

I would like to calculate more precisely, but need a couple of bits of data
that do not appear in my shop manual. Does anybody know the intake valve
closing timing and the con rod length for a 72 TR6? If so, I will complete
the calculation and post it.

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6