RE: Interpreting Compression Test

To: "'Randall'" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Interpreting Compression Test
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 07:27:15 -0500
Thanks for the response Randall.

I hadn't thought about the volume that the wet-test oil takes up, but I
guess it would increase the compression ratio. Good point. So would the wet
test for rings only be valid for a cylinder with a very low pressure
relative to the others?

Cylinder 4 may indeed be causing me a problem. My statement about strong
running wasn't entirely accurate. The vehicle stumbles intermittently when
cruising at 60 mph or over. I can't tell if its something slipping in the
driveline or a misfire. Maybe it's cylinder# 4.

I was planning on doing the valves over the winter. It looks like rings can
be done with the engine in place. Do you think it would it be worth the
effort? Anything else I should look at when I have the cylinder head off?

Regards,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6