Re: carb rebuild

Subject: Re: carb rebuild
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:30:26 -0800
>Okay, so I have rebuilt my twin Zenith Strombergs with a kit from Moss. I
>went through all the steps on the registry list for setting them up. I no
>longer have any leaks by my throttle shafts etc., but I can't seem to get
>them to run right. Above 3000 RPM's and everything is pretty good. Below and
>it just sucks and is not even enjoyable to drive. It spits and sputters and
>the only way to take of is to rev it up and slip the clutch (something I
>don't want to do). I tried the troubleshooting things and by all indications
>it is running way lean. If I lift the piston ever so slightly it wants to
>die which, according to my reading, indicates a lean situation. However, the
>needles are backed all the way out, and the plugs are a nice tan. So what
>next oh wise ones?

First things first, Jack.  What kind of car are we talking about?  It
sounds, from your description, like we're talking about Zenith
Strombergs that have adjustable needles and fixed jets, which means
to me that it's a TR6 or later GT6.  (although I'm not too familiar
with GT6s) In the case of the GT6 the carbs would obviously be CD150s
instead of CD175s but I assume all other rules would apply.

Dylan spoke of needles being included with a rebuild kit.  For my TR6
I've never received new needles with the rebuild kits I've ordered.
But, just for verification, I believe the proper TR6 needles are
marked B1AF.

Let's be sure we have some basic facts before we start making diagnoses.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6