Re: Air tight '73 TR6

To: Administration: William Hofmann <bill@flextrim.com>
Subject: Re: Air tight '73 TR6
From: Jim Davis <jdavis@ldl.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:28:08 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bil,
I had the same problem with CF38690 and took it to a Street Rod builder
who could supposedly make anything fit up. And sure enough he did, or as
well as humanly possible with the stock side glass. His solution was to
ream out the holes for the bolts that position the glass channels and do
some serious shimming on these bolts also. The glass was raised almost
1.5" and fits at the top fairly well. At the windshield, the glass just
touches the weather stripping at the bottom and crushes same at the top.
The angle of the windshield is set by the size of the hardtop. He
couldn't believe the glass was supposed to fit in the opening. On my car
the holes line up perfectly on the body to fit the hardtop, so the
angles formed by the windshield, door and hardtop have to be same from
car to car, otherwise the hardtop wouldn't fit. So in my mind the window
glass was not designed properly. One can compensate for the poor design
with the soft top by moving the windshield frame forward at the top so
the window glass fits more evenly, but with the hardtop there is no
adjustment possible. This has to be the poorest engineered "glass for
the opening" of any modern automobile. And now that the glass kind of
fits for the hardtop on my car, it is a poor fit for the soft top. I
have seriously considered having a glass cut for the opening, something
that is done with street rods all the time. Any one else go this route?
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U