Re: TR3a scroll seal

Subject: Re: TR3a scroll seal
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 21:39:35 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
The relevant section reads :

In the absence of a crankshaft mandrel the oil seal attachment bolts
will still be loose at this juncture.  They should now be tightened to a
torque loading of 810 Ibs. ft. The bearing cap must be tightened down
so that the oil seal division is flush.
<<<

A matter of interpretation I suppose ... is that "permission" to not use
the mandrel, or just an admonishment to do the best you can, if you
insist on not having one ?

Personally, I've never had access to a mandrel, and all of the engines
I've built have more or less leaked.  Being somewhat less
environmentally aware at the time, it seemed acceptable.  "If it doesn't
leak, it's out."  This time, I'm trying the neoprene seal, if for no
other reason than because it should stand up to excess blowby better.
Saves having to turn up a mandrel (and debate it's correct size) too <g>

Randall