Re: TR3 top

Subject: Re: TR3 top
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:19:24 -0800
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Kevin Kealty wrote:

> Hi all.  I have managed to tow my TR3B home from Buffalo.

Congratulations !

> My first is the top.  Would getting it wet help, or would it be better to put
> hair dryer on it?

If it's cloth/canvas, then getting it wet might help.  If it's vinyl,
then use heat, but Gently !

Another old time trick is to take the webbing loose from the rearmost
bow.  Then when you erect the bows, leave the rearmost one folded while
you put the top on.  Once all the snaps are fastened, push the rear bow
into place from inside the car.  It will stay there by friction (or
least that's always been my experience).

> A mechanic suggested that I put diesel fuel into the spark plug holes and let
> it sit for a week.  He said it would eat up any carbon, rust, etc.  Any
> comments?

I've never tried it in a cylinder, but I used to use diesel fuel as a
solvent for soaking/washing parts.  I never could see that it had any
impact whatsoever on rust or carbon.  Even if it did, the last thing you
want is to wash particles of rust or carbon down into the rings, or past
the rings into the crankcase.  So, I wouldn't do it.

If the engine turns over, I'd try to start it (after changing the oil
and coolant of course).  If not, I'd start by pulling the head to see
what the problem is.  Really, the only things likely to rust are the
cylinder walls and the rings; even if you could make the rust magically
disappear, the pits left behind would be a problem.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver (well, not today)