Re: TR 4 Cyl Engine Factory Rear Seal and Tool Survey

To: "Dianne Fullam" <dfullam@albany.net>, "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: TR 4 Cyl Engine Factory Rear Seal and Tool Survey
From: "Bill DeWar" <pcdelux@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:57:32 -0500
Cc: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Friends Of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Pete, Brad and List,

  I have assembled a few TR 4 cylinders reusing the
original style seal and have not had major leaking.
 If the engine is tired and has excessive blowby it tends
to leak more on highway runs, but otherwise not bad.
  My concern with the new style seal involves the major
amount of material removed from the scroll area. Does
this not weaken the crankshaft near the flywheel mount
flange? Maybe some racer's could shed light on this issue.
Possible with a lightened flywheel it does not matter.
 BTW I used a Moss nylon tool to center the seal, and
personally have not seen leaks big enough to call for a
different type .

Bill DeWar
NJTA----- Original Message -----