air tools

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: air tools
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:23:25 -0800 FILETIME=[314345B0:01C1731E]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the tip on compressors, yes it's true you can't have too much
air. This is a tool you only want to buy once....

>Does anyone have any comments on the overall adequacy/quality of any of
>these (or other favorite) brands? Not looking to break the bank on tool
>purchases, but don't want to have to buy a ratchet every three months
>either. I have a hard time believing that a $20 ratchet is going to >last
>very long!

The major factor in air tool longevity is oiling. Make sure you keep plenty
of oil in the tool while you're using it, also it makes sense to change the
oil in your compressor periodically. As for tool quality I've been working
at Harbor Freight for the past few months while I wait for the economy to
improve (anyone need a sys admin?) A few weeks back I  had a customer bring
in a die grinder he had for 4 years. Yes, the Central Pneumatic line is made
in China but this one served 4 years of daily use before it died. Personally
I'd rather put my money into my cars than name brand tools, and some of
those name brands are manufactured in the same factories as the bargain
stuff. Look at it this way, you'd have to burn up four $20- ratchets to
equal one $80- IR. We sell plenty of each and I haven't noticed either
coming back in great numbers. Lots of tradesmen buy the Central Pneumatic
tools so I guess they give a good value for the money.

BTW, I am in no way speaking for Harbor Freight here, just relating my
experience selling tools. The guys in our store are pretty honest with the
customers about quality. I think the Chineese factories heard the quality
complaints and have really cleaned up their acts. If you're worried about it
you can always drop the extra 6 bucks and get the extended warranty.

>Lastly (honest!), for restoration and general maintenance of our >beasts,
>which air tools are the most needed? The impact is free and a ratchet
> >seems obvious...what else?

Die Grinder!

>As always, any suggestions or recommendations will be most welcome!
> >Thanks!!

>Michael Ferguson
>1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O
>There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'...Dave
> >Barry

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald