Re: OD Tranny Slipping in Reverse?

To: "Scott Tilton" <sdtilton@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD Tranny Slipping in Reverse?
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:26:34 -0500
Subject: OD Tranny Slipping in Reverse?

| Hey Guys,
|
| Twice now I've had an odd experience in my TR6 with A type OD
transmission.

| I've been driving down a neighborhood street and come to a stop and put
the car
| into reverse to back into a parking spot or a driveway or something.
|
| When I first start to move backwards, it seems like the drive train is
slipping
| for a half second or so before it catches and puts the power to the
wheels.

| It feels and sounds exactly like it would if you were driving on snow.
| As a matter of fact, the first time it happened, I had just washed the car
and
| was backing out of the driveway.
| I figured had spun the tire on the wet pavement.   I thought it must have
been
| a pretty slick surface.
| This weekend though . . . it was warm tires on dry pavement. . .
definitely not
| the tires spinning.
|
| Any ideas as to the problem and its severity?
|

| Scott Tilton

Hi Scott,

In direct drive in the forward direction power is transferred through both
the unidirectional clutch and the cone clutch.  In reverse, power is
transferred only through the cone clutch.   It appears that there is
insufficient force on the sliding member of the cone clutch.  This could be
due to the hydraulic pressure not being completely released from the
operating pistons.  You might check the little hole in the operating valve
spindle to make sure it is clear.  Also make sure that the valve operating
lever is adjusted properly so that the valve isn't held open.  Another
possibility is that the 8 release springs are weak due to age/overheating.

A check you can run is to see if the OD shifts from OD to direct drive
fairly quickly, like in a second or so while accelerating at highway speeds.
If it is much slower than a second, then the problem is likely in the valve.

Another check is to shift from OD to direct dive while decelerating at
highway speeds (going down a hill).  If it shifts quickly when accelerating
but slowly when decelerating, then the problem is probably weak release
springs.

Nelson Riedel
Granville Ohio
'68TR250, '70TR6, '76TR6