Re: TR3 answers

To: Shrack04@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 answers
From: Robert Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:48:28 -0500
Shrack04@aol.com wrote:

>No dumb questions, I need all I can get to get this fixed, 1,, I had 20 wt
>oil in the daspots and replaced it with a bit lighter,, no difference.  The
>pistons really pick up slow,,,,with my finger.  The jets were centered by the
>carb rebuilder and see to be correct.  No sound or misalignment.  It was
>kinda backfiring through the intake & exhaust, but that went away with the
>new dist. cap. and new plugs.  Which would indicate a lean burn, but the
>plugs are black like way too rich. I did  advance and retard the spark, and
>it didn't seem to improve either way.  I didn't get too far out of spec. and
>it was running fine set like this before.  The carbs synched fine, have a
>unisyn, and both fine, Had to hardly move one to get them the same.  I have
>lifted the pistons, and sounds normal,, slight increase for a few seconds
>then back to normal.  Nothing out of the ordinary there.  I haven't pulled
>the carbs back off to check for butterfly tightness or center,, but the guy
>that rebuilt them seems to know alot about what hes doing,,,?   Thanks for
>you questions, and please ask more

One thing just came to mind that happened to me a few seasons ago. I had
just installed a new vacuum advance hose from the carb. to the dist. and
the engine cut out during any acceleration. The problem turned out to be
the little wire inside the distributor that connects the points to the
coil via the plastic terminal was pulling out of its metal connector
when the advance kicked in. Previous there was no measurable advance, so
no problem. As soon as I installed the new pipe... problem. Easy fix,
hard problem to find. I started to replace the points, a good place to
start, and guess what? When I removed that little wire from the points,
it pulled apart!!. A little solder later and problem fixed. If your
vacuum is working good, the plate that mounts the points will really
turn during a load. Worth checking out. Also check out the little
grounding wire that grounds your plate to the dist. body.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V
1998 T-BIRD