RE: What steps are necessary to change to Silicon brake fluid

To: "Triumphs@autox. Team. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What steps are necessary to change to Silicon brake fluid
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:26:11 -0800
Ashford :

IMO, it depends a bit on what your goals are.  To get the full benefit, you
need to disassemble and clean all of the cylinders, and flush the lines out
with solvent.  As long as you have it apart, might as well replace all the
rubber too.

But, you can reap much of the benefit of silicone by just bleeding until the
MC is almost empty, filling with silicone, and then bleeding each slave
until you get clear silicone fluid out.

Silicone has a tendency to foam a bit if you pour it directly into the MC,
so either use a clean rod of some sort to pour it down (so it doesn't
splash), or else let it sit for a bit before bleeding.  Otherwise the
bubbles can get carried into the brake system during the bleeding process.

Randall