Re: Carpet Dye

To: rbtr3a@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carpet Dye
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:14:50 EST
In a message dated 01-11-13 21:47:01 EST, rbtr3a@home.com writes:

<< Have any of you had any experience in dying carpets.
 My carpet set has faded only on the section that covers the tunnel. The rest
 of the set looks like new. I believe the heat from the transmission may have
 caused the fading.
 thanks >>

Ronnie,

I have used TINTEX brand fabric dye (Black) - full strength on my Spitfire
and previous LBC carpets with very good results.  I use it as required on my
black carpet to bring back the faded areas or to darken bare spots worn
through from foot traffic.

It is very strong and will dye anything in it's path so be careful when you
apply it.  Grab some latex gloves and mix up a batch in a small plastic wash
basin.  I use an old washcloth to work it into the carpet.  It takes a day to
dry thoroughly so if you're doing all of your carpet be prepared to let the
car set for awhile.  The only side affect I've ever noticed is that on older
carpets, the pile of the carpet may become a little "stiffer" after the dye
dries.  When this happens, I vacuum the carpet with the hard nozzle back and
forth a few times to sort of fluff it up again.

Oh....best of all, TINTEX doesn't cost much....I think the stuff has been
around since the early 1900's....good luck

Chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (complete rolling chassis finished - still busy sanding the
body, doors, bonnet, etc. - check out my progress by visiting
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (tucked away for a long winter's nap!)