TR3 Speedo Woes

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Speedo Woes
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:06:02 -0700
Note:  I have consulted Tony Rhodes' excellent speedo site, I was unable
to access the archives....

The symptom is a speedo which gets hung up and does not want to return
to zero.  Some jiggling of the cable or loosening of its fitting finally
causes the needle to drop back to zero.  A new cable (Moss, black
housing) has recently been fitted.

I can recreate the problem with the unit partially disassembled by
applying pressure to the input shaft... this causes the needle to stick
until I relieve the pressure by pressing back on the hub of the pointer.

Is this play in the main works (being able to push everything fore & aft
about 25 thous) a normal float?  Seems like it would need some float to
avoid binding.

ISTR some past comments here that the replacement speedo cables may be a
tad long and cause some binding in the unit.  Is this in fact a problem
and is it resolved by grinding a bit off the speedo end of the cable?

I have resisted the temptation to lube anything inside the unit for fear
of attracting dirt and/or creating some adhesion between the magnet and
drag cup.  Is there any lubing to be done?

Thanks for any help.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Tucson