RE: Surrey Top 'conversion'

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Surrey Top 'conversion'
From: "Pharr, Jeff" <pharr@terralign.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:25:45 -0500
Cc: "'Jeffrey J. Barteet'" <barteet@barteet.com>
This post raises another interesting question (Question VI, I think...)
My TR4A is/was originally a soft top, but does not have that aluminum
surround.  I had assumed that was a TR4 - 4A thing, but maybe not.  There
are also no holes in the body for the threaded studs on the bottom of the
rear surry frame to fit into.  There is currently no top at all on the car
since the soft top was removed when I painted the car and I just never
bothered to put it back on.  The soft top was mounted using bolts that fit
down from the top into threaded thingies attached underneath each hole in
the forward lip of the rear shelf.  (Probably not making any sense at this
point)

Does this mean that the surry tops are year/model specific and I've got the
wrong one for my year; some DPO did a custom softtop install for some
strange reason; or perhaps there is another set of holes for surrey top
mounting that I have yet to find?  I can take some digital pics if needed to
clear things up.

Thanks,

--Jeff

Jeffrey J. Barteet [mailto:barteet@barteet.com] wrote:

<snip>

So I too had the idea that I'd be able to take the whole top off (
including rear section ) in short order to suit my needs.

This is not the case.

If your car is originally a soft-top car like mine, you first have to
remove the top frame, and then the aluminum surround with all the
lift-the-dot studs for the soft top to expose the holes in the body where
the surrey top bolts down. Unlike an MG hardtop, the TR surrey bolts down
with around 10 bolts set into the rear surrey top frame. To get to the
nuts, you have to remove the side panels behind the seat as well as the
panel covering the gas tank.

Some contortion is required for some of the nuts.

It's not complicated, but it's time consuming. You're not going to take
the rear section on and off 'real quick.'

<more snipping>