gassprings for a Spit bonnet - update - delete if not interested - kinda

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@egroups.com>
Subject: gassprings for a Spit bonnet - update - delete if not interested - kinda' long
From: <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:37:28 -0500
Oh what fun this has been.... yeah right!

I see why no one has ever really followed through
on this before from an engineering standpoint.

Well I've figured out quite a bit of the geometrics
involved to find the right 'power' level of the springs
as well as extension/compression lengths, vs mount points.
 I've also looked into the dynamics of the bonnet
lowering and the 'progression of the springs
so it can't slam shut.

PROBLEM....
   .. preamble...
You'd be amazed at the energy levels we're talking
about when these gassprings are pushing up on the
fender wells.    A serious consideration I'd like everyone
to think about (anyone than can/wants to) and understand....
... as an example... if you put a bathroom scale on the
windshield wiper deck and sit the bonnet on it.... let's say
you measure 50 lbs.  The means the bonnet weighs
roughly 100 lbs. If you're trying to 'push' the bonnet
open from 1/4 of the way back from the hinges
(leading edges of the fender wells) we're now talking roughly
150lbs of force.  This 'force' is being applied to the
wheel wells or bonnet framing... all the time the
bonnet is down.
WHO ELSE (besides me and one of the strut engineers
I've been talking to ) THINKS THIS MIGHT DESTORT
 THE BONNET OVER TIME?
If we push up on the frame rails in front of the wheel wells
pressures (bonnet closed) exceed 200lbs. (obviously...
100 lbs each side)
We're now looking at the equivalent of bending the bonnet over you knee
as you press down on the hinge point and the bonnet near the
fire wall (same effects)

So.... what does all this mean?    I'm now looking into a multi-link
system the would greatly reduce this 'compressed force'.
I've also come across a few other 'spring hinge' designs
that might resolve this as well.

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com