EQ#4- To paint or not to paint?

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: EQ#4- To paint or not to paint?
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:10:06 +0000
Hi List!
        Another stupid question I'm asking, so please respond to me, Not the
list [for I'm on digest mode]. I'm wanting to paint my engine block
before assembly. All is stripped in & out of the block, sanded down
[outside] to metal, washed inside & out with denatured alchol [yes my
block enjoys alchol, but shows No reaction to it] ;-). In any case, I've
masked off the top & side openings, so No 'overspray' gets into the
inside & later flakes off to 'clog up' something.
        Questions: 1- After the paint dries, do I need to remove some of the
paint where gasket seal will go, before the seal is on the gasket?
2- When the engines came from the factory, installed in the car, was the
engine painted 1st & then assembled, or vise versa?
3- Therefore, were the gaskets showing, or painted? Same question as #2,
but asked differntly, in case you didn't understand #2 ;-).
TIA,    -Cosmo Kramer