Re: Transporting TR6 Motor

To: chris.bullock@netcarrier.com
Subject: Re: Transporting TR6 Motor
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 19:34:52 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Chris,
        I made this trip last year, from MA to PA.
        Make a wooden engine stand from scrap 2x6s on edge.
Basically, make a box that the oil pan fits inside.  The weight of the
engine is supported where the oil pan is screwed to the block.
        The inside dimension of the box is 20 3/4" X 8 3/4".  The back
side of the box has to be smaller: 3/4" thick stock, or it won't fit
between the pan and the rear engine plate.
        The 4 hex head caps screws at the rear of the oil pan are not
coplaner with the others, due to the 1/8" thick stiffening plate welded
in.  So, you should undercut the box 1/8" in this area.
        For more stability, screw and glue a piece of 3/4" plywood on
the bottom of the box.  Cut it about 20" X 32".  For the ultimate,
mount some stout castor wheels at the 4 corners.  Now, you have a
mobile engine dolly.
        Bonus: the dolly is also great for clutch and transmission
assembly.

                Good Luck!
                Regards,  Rick
*********
Re:Good morning,

I need to transport my TR6 motor from VT to PA, likely in
the back of my
Blazer or the back of a pickup (obviously easier).  Does
anyone have
designs/dimensions or other suggestions for a platform or
support of the
engine for the drive?

Thanks!